Photonics

Photonics

How to calculate the modes, effective index of the fundamental TM mode, using polarization fraction

• cswanson
      Subscriber

I am taking the FDE Solver Course and am stuck in the "My First Simulation" Quiz and Exercise where I download the associated files to perform the exercise. I trying to understand how to get the correct answer for Exercise 1 and 2. I changed the wavelength to 1.55 um, but I don't know what to do next and how to analyze the results. I am pretty much a novice in photonics. Could I do a Webex or something so someone could walk me through this?

• Taylor Robertson
      Ansys Employee
      Hello cswanson
      This question is asking for the fundamental TM mode, which you can tell by looking at the TE polarization fraction. This is a pretty standard SOI waveguide geometry where TE is fundamental and the second mode will be TM.
      So you just need to use the effective index of the second mode on the list. You can find more info on the quantities here https://support.lumerical.com/hc/en-us/articles/360034396734-FDE-solver-analysis-Mode-List-and-Deck.

Although guided waves is not unique to photonics, the materials and modes are different enough from RF that it might take some getting used to. I am sure you will be more comfortable by the end of the course, as differentiating between the fundamental TE and TM modes comes up regularly. If you are still troubled I would suggest finding some references on dielectric waveguides.

Best
    • cswanson
      Subscriber
      Wow! That is amazing. I am among brilliant people at Lumerical, so I am extremely humbled by your answer. Thank you so much!!!!
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.