Ansys Products

Ansys Products

How to check out a teaching license vs. research license?

• rachael.auch
      Subscriber

Can someone shed some light on how one can check out an Academic Teaching Mechanical and CFD license versus a Research Mechanical and CFD license? We have both teaching and research licenses hosted on the same license server. We have some students that need to use the teaching licenses for a class and I can't seem to find a way to keep them from dipping into our research licenses, or a way to choose between which licenses they will use. If anyone can provide some information on how to do this, I'd really appreciate it. I am hoping it doesn't involve splitting/rehosting the licenses. Thanks.

• George Karnos
      Ansys Employee
      Other than below, the only other path forward is to separate the teaching and research license to different servers.
      The user can pick which server to check out licenses from.

The process of allowing users to select Teaching/Research licenses since license preferences have now been retired
      is as below.

I would perform this when usage is not expected and also would set the LM_PROJECT on the client first.
      Once the options file is in place users without LM_PROJECT set will not be able to check out licenses

On the client machines, you would need to set the environment variable:  LM_PROJECT
      For teaching: set LM_PROJECT=teaching    (to match the PROJECT statement in the options file(in the include line).
      For Research: set LM_PROJECT=research   (to match the PROJECT statement in the options file(in the include line

The options file will need to be used to distinguish teaching from research and associate them with PROJECT names
      As an example:

For Teaching:
      The options file line would be as follows:
      INCLUDE ansys:VENDOR_STRING="customer:00000054 tp:at" PROJECT teaching
      On Client:  set LM_PROJECT=teaching

An include line would need to be added for EVERY Increment line with VENDOR_STRING="customer:00000054 tp:at"

Then, for Research:
      Options file lines would be as follows:
      INCLUDE ansys:VENDOR_STRING="customer:00000054 tp:a" PROJECT research
      On Client: set LM_PROJECT=research
      Again, an include line would need to be added for every Increment line with VENDOR_STRING="customer:00000054 tp:a"

If the user needs the ability to switch between the 2 on the client, the user would create wrapper scripts to set LM_Project and then launch whatever program 
      they need to run. 

Example:

setenv LM_PROJECT teaching
      runwb      (include the path or change the program name)(Linux)
      "C:\Program Files\ANSYS Inc\ANSYS Student\v211\Framework\bin\Win64\runwb2.exe" (Windows)

Please let me know if you have questions.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.