Fluids

Fluids

How to check the species mass balance?

• scholar
      Subscriber

Hello everyone,

I am doing the simulation of coal gasification. Phase-1 is mixture-gas (02, h20, co, co2, ch4, h2). Phase-2 is mixture-coal (char, ash, volatile). The co, co2, ch4, h2 are formed heterogeneous and homogenous reactions. The char is decomposed into co, co2. How to check the mass balance of species such as char, co, co2, h2, etc. in Fluent?

The flux reports give the mass balance of phase-1 and phase-2 but not the species present in it.

Similarly how to check the total heat balance? From the flux reports? (see attachment)

• Rob
      Ansys Employee
      You'll need to use reports (mass weighted or integral) and add up what goes in and compare it to what goes out. Note, as materials are converted you may need to think carefully how you account for eg carbon. n
    • scholar
      Subscriber
      Hello Rob,n In order to check the mass balance of the char, I used a custom filed function to get information of the char in terms of kg/s in interior and boundaries.nI see that the char is getting accumulated more than what is input with time (look into the presentation).nCan you please have a look into it and let me know if I am missing anything here?nn
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      If you check carbon mass going in and out how does it look? Ie look at a mole balance for the species. I used to do the hand calcs for this at University but it's been a while since I last looked into it. n
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.