Preprocessing

Preprocessing

How to convert a 3D curve to a surface

• Kyu
      Subscriber

Greetings,

As the title suggests, I need to turn a curve into a surface. It needs to be a solid object, but I'm unsure in which order to do things. I've read plenty of other questions in the forum that may be describing a similar problem, but couldn't find a solution.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      nI see that the profile rotates as it advances. You haven't said what the angle of rotation is for each unit of advancement along the axis. n
    • Kyu
      Subscriber

@KyuI see that the profile rotates as it advances. You haven't said what the angle of rotation is for each unit of advancement along the axis.https://forum.ansys.com/discussion/comment/113002#Comment_113002

Greetings. Thanks for your reply. The angle isn't so important at this stage, however it can be assumed to be 1 revolution of the helix. Which I think in DesignModeler, was, '1 turn'.n
    • peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      nWhat units are the numbers in the profile? Meters, mm, inches?nThe radius of the largest number in your profile is 0.0317 units.nAre you saying 1 revolution in 1 unit? That is not what the image you showed has. It looks like is should be in the neighborhood of one radius.nThe profile looks like it has rotational symmetry with four quarters, is that correct?nAlso, your text file doesn't encode for a closed loop. It should. Look that up in Ansys Help.n
    • Kyu
      Subscriber
      Greetings. Thanks again for your reply. nActually, your stream of questions has led me to the right answer. Funny how these things work lol The critical statement was in-fact the last, 'Also, your text file doesn't encode for a closed loop. It should. Look that up in Ansys Help.'. This prompted me to look at the user guide for DesignModeler, and within I found the following section:nApplying this to my own co-ordinates (which are supposed to define a closed curve), I was finally able to use the, 'Surface From Edges' function to make a surface and perform a Sweep. This resulted in the following geometry, which was my original target:nThanks a lot for your help, very much appreciated. Have a great day (-:nKyun
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.