Fluids

Fluids

How to correctly take reference values for vertical axis wind turbine simulation?

• mmt
      Subscriber

I am doing a 2D H-Darriues vertical axis wind turbine simulation. In multiple places, I have seen they have taken reference values differently. I want to calculate moment coefficients, and I need the correct reference area and length.

How do I calculate reference values correctly for 2D and also 3D simulations?

• Karthik R
      Administrator
      Hello In general, the reference values depend on how you are comparing your simulation results with experiments or other simulations. You might wish to look at how other users working on similar problems define this.
      Vertical Axis Wind Turbine ÔÇö Part 1 - ANSYS Innovation Courses
      Vertical Axis Wind Turbine ÔÇö Part 2 - ANSYS Innovation Courses
      Please check if these courses help answer your question.
      Karthik
    • mmt
      Subscriber

Dear Karthik Yes, I have seen those tutorials and the way they take reference value is not clear to me.
      The chord length of their turbine is 2cm (.02 m). They have taken .0012 m2 as the area (2cm*6 sides) i.e. according to then for a 2D simulation, reference area= chord length*no. of blades*2(sides)
      and length=chord length.
      Is this the accurate way? How about while doing a 3D simulation?
      You said that, "In general, the reference values depend on how you are comparing your simulation results with experiments or other simulations". Does that mean I can just change reference values until I get values similar to the experiment? But doesn't the reference value carry significance?
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      In an experiment you measure force, rotation rate, pressure loss etc. All of the values from there such as Reynolds Number are then derived using some assumed values (dimension being the common one). If you treat the reference values in the same way then you can compare with the experiment. Problems occur when they're not changed, or changed to values that don't compare to the experiment. If you just find the force on the blade then reference doesn't matter, lift & drag coefficients being derived need to be handled with more care.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.