Preprocessing

Preprocessing

How to create perfect mesh transition from coarse Hexagonal elements to fine mesh?

Tagged: 

• safiana
      Subscriber

Hi everyone,

I am testing a structure in ANSYS APDL that includes several cubes attached to each other. Two of these cubes are much thinner (in the middle) and I would like to apply fine mesh on them. However, for the beginning and ending cubes, I would like to have coarse mesh. Please see the attached picture and also you can copy and paste the code to generate this geometry.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      ?Perfection is the enemy of progress.? ? Winston Churchilln
    • safiana
      Subscriber
      ArrayThank you for sending this quote! No doubt it is a great quote. I think I didn't have to use the term perfect. What actually I meant is how to create this mesh transition without using tet elements, like the second picture. n
    • Aniket
      Ansys Employee
      Array: nArray, The image that you have shared is nice to transition from 4 elements to 2, but it would be possible in some tools such as ICEM CFD, but would be a lot of tedious work as far as I understand, nwhat is your intent and purpose of creating such fine mesh? why the tet would not work? Why the bonded contacts won't work?n-AniketnHow to access Ansys help linksnGuidelines for Posting on Ansys Learning Forumn
    • safiana
      Subscriber
      Thank you for your response! This geometry is continuous structure and I prefer not to consider bonded contact. For the fine mesh, I would like to apply area pressure on those small volumes. What I mean actually is that, consider a roller passing over this structure with a high radial load. Based on Hertz contact theory a pressure distribution and an area is generated at the contact location. But now, I would like to remove that roller from my structure and instead apply area pressure at those small volumes where roller was placed. The thickness of those small volumes is equal to contact width by Hertz contact theory. I know Hertz contact does not have uniform pressure, but for simplification, I want to apply a uniform pressure on my model. This is the concept behind this model.nnFor tet elements, they do not create a symmetry pressure distribution as the hex elements. Also, I read they are stiffer elements and less accurate compared with Hertz (my knowledge in this sentence is limited).I appreciate any help you can provide. n
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.