General Mechanical

General Mechanical

How to create topology optimization model with dynamic loading?

• Mrjiang
      Subscriber

I learned how to construct a topology optimization with static loading but i couldn't find much information on topology optimization with dynamic loading. I tried using transient analysis but the result from transient analysis couldn't transfer to optimization box. Can anyone help me? Thanks!!!!

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

I would suggest creating static structural loads that recreate the maximum stress seen during the transient analysis. Perhaps taking a few of those if the location of the maximum stress moves around.

• Mrjiang
      Subscriber

but how to recreate the maximum stress seen in transient analysis in static analysis? By applying static load on the model to simulate it ?

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Yes, that is my suggestion.

• Mrjiang
      Subscriber

how do you know how much of loading to apply to the model? by trial and error method?

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

If you have a harmonic response model, there is a maximum stress in the model at some location. If you have a transient structural model, there is a maximum stress at some location at some time. You would create a Static Structural model to recreate the same level of stress at that same location.

The method used to decide on the static loading that recreates the dynamic stress can be called a "trial and error method", but I prefer to call it "using engineering judgement". 

• Mrjiang
      Subscriber

Thanks for your help!!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.