3D Design

3D Design

How to draw fillet weld inside and around the slot

• sameerfares
      Subscriber

Hi All,

I'd like to get your assistance on how to draw a fillet weld inside  and around the slot.

Regards,

Sam

• Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

Hi Sam,

Just select the edge of the slot and use the Pull tool? Please see this article from the help.

Regards,
      Sandeep

• sameerfares
      Subscriber

Hi Sandeep,

1.  Do you have to draw a triangle for fillet weld? if yes how do you draw

2. You stated "Just select the edge of the slot and use the Pull tool". Do you mean to draw a triangle first then pull on it?

Thanks,

Sam

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Hi Sam, 

I think this is what you want.

Regards,
      Peter

• sameerfares
      Subscriber

Hi Peter,

I honestly I can't thank you enough. A video that shows how to do it is the best teaching tool.

Regards,

Sam

• FrankD
      Ansys Employee

Just some comments on Peter's excellent video.

1) The way pull works, all you have to do is Select the Triangle surface, ALT double-click the track, and Enter and it is done. 
           You don't really need to go back to the toolguide icons, unless to override some default behavior -- which is to detect that the pulling surface is both perpendicular to the track, and located at a vertex of the track, and it knows you are trying to make a Sweep.

2) On the whole No Merge thing -- a better practice when modeling these obviously-separate parts, is to place each of the different bodies into Components (RMB>Move to New Component) and this way anytime you need to make a modification, you simply Activate the desired component and change only that one -- removing the need to remember to No Merge all the time.  This gives the added benefit of having a placeholder Component named Welds, and this can hold all the different Weld bodies, and you can later Combine>Merge them (only if needed) to one or another Component. Nicely enough, separating things into Components makes drawing BOM balloons come out better and more useful than holding everything in one Component and trying to manage things with bodies alone.

3) Since I am a little talking about best practices, Sam, I might encourage you to explore the Layer functionality, since you are getting into these types of assemblies of parts.

F

• sameerfares
      Subscriber

Hi Frank: 

Thank you so much for the detailed info. It will sure help me build my experience with spaceclaim.

Regards,

Sam 

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Thanks Frank!

Like Sam, I sometimes struggle with SpaceClaim, so I take these opportunities to learn how to do something new to me. The sweep along a guide I saw in a video that answered one of Sam's earlier questions.

I have figured out Components already, so I might incorporate that in future videos.

Regards,
      Peter

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.