March 13, 2021 at 12:39 amGuanhui WangAnsys Employee
Hi. FDTD Solutions uses a time domain solver. The simulation starts by inserting a short optical pulse into the simulation domain (through the source) and it runs (or should run) until the optical signal passes through the simulation domain completely. This means that your simulation time should be large enough so that the light from the source is able to cover the entire distance from the source to the end of the simulation region.
For example, if you have a simulation setup where the optical signal will travel for 5 micron before leaving the simulation region and the material has an index of 3.5 then the time required for the light to travel this distance is given by, t = 5e-6/c*3.5 sec = 58 fs. This means that a simulation time of at least 58 fs is required.Viewing 0 reply threads
Ansys Innovation Space
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Earth Rescue – An Ansys Online Series
The climate crisis is here. But so is the human ingenuity to fight it. Earth Rescue reveals what visionary companies are doing today to engineer radical new ideas in the fight against climate change. Click here to watch the first episode.
Subscribe to the Ansys Blog to get great new content about the power of simulation delivered right to your email on a weekly basis. With content from Ansys experts, partners and customers you will learn about product development advances, thought leadership and trends and tips to better use Ansys tools. Sign up here.Trending discussions
- “Import optical generation” or “delta generation rate”?
- Why am I getting “process exited without calling finalize”, and how do I fix it?
- Error on Lumerical device
- Using a license file on a new license server
- Error: addfdtd is not a valid function or a variable name
- Ansys Insight: Diverging Simulations
- Ansys Insight: Transmission results greater than one
- Ansys Insight: About override mesh in FDTD: its use and settings
- Ansys Insight: Convergence issues in CHARGE
- Is there a Lumerical script command to output the Simulation and Memory requirements?
Top Rated Tags
© 2023 Copyright ANSYS, Inc. All rights reserved.Ansys does not support the usage of unauthorized Ansys software. Please visit www.ansys.com to obtain an official distribution.