General Mechanical

General Mechanical

How to find coefficient of friction?

• SaurabhG
      Subscriber

I am trying to solve the following model:

• HesamK
      Subscriber
      I think you should perform optimization with input as cof and objective as slip distance of contact, or small movement of the slider.
    • SaurabhG
      Subscriber
      Thankyou for your reply. I have tried to do that over the range of COF values. But it shows converging results over a very wide range of values and it is really difficult to know how to pick the exact sliding COF accurately. Please let me knw if you have more exact or specific methods. Appreciate it.
    • David Mercier
      Ansys Employee

In the case of dry friction, the COF should be higher than the ratio Ft/Fn, with Ft = frictionnal or transversal force and Fn the normal load. The question is do you have a constant normal load in your simulation? Moreover are you looking for the COF during static or kinetic friction? The COF during the kinetic phase should be more "stable" rather than the one calculated during static friction (start of the motion).
      The optimisation process is a very good approach. But why not trying your simulation with a constant normal load and a constant transveral load, then measuring slip distance as a function of COF (from frictionless to 0.5) and see when you have no motion. You should thus estimate a lower limit for the COF in your case study.
      Here an interesting AIC about this question: https://courses.ansys.com/index.php/courses/contact-mechanics/lessons/frictional-contact-lesson-2/
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.