Fluids

Fluids

How to get more control over ICFD mesh in LS-DYNA?

• LCP
      Subscriber

Hello,

I want to create an ICFD mesh with control over the general element size, and the number of elements on certain boundaries. This, however, is (as far as I know) not possible when meshing with 2DMesh in LS-PrePost. Therefore, I wanted to create the mesh using the meshing tool from ANSYS Workbench, and extract this mesh to LS-DYNA in order to convert it to a multiple solver mesh. When I do this, though, only one FEM part remains in LS-DYNA, and this is the entire geometry. In order to use the ICFD solver, I need all boundaries to be FEM parts (e.g. inlet, outlet, wall, symmetry, etc.).

So two questions:

1. How do I get more control over the mesh while using 2Dmesh in LS-Prepost (so the ANSYS fluent mesh and LS-DYNA mesh resemble each other to the maximum amount possible)?
      2. How do I convert an ANSYS Workbench mesh to a working LS-DYNA ICFD mesh?

Kind regards,

• tslavik
      Ansys Employee
      Hi >>How do I get more control over the mesh while using 2Dmesh in LS-Prepost (so the ANSYS fluent mesh and LS-DYNA mesh resemble each other to the maximum amount possible)?
      Is the Fluent mesh 2-D? if so you can directly export the fluent mesh (.msh in ASCII format) and import it in LSPP. Which brings me to your second question.
      >>How do I convert an ANSYS Workbench mesh to a working LS-DYNA ICFD mesh?
      You can download the LSP model convertor from the Ansys store:
      https://catalog.ansys.com/product/60c26a1cac2bf0145b4f8c91/lsp-model-converto
      Alternatively, you can use the new tool in LSPP 4.9 to import ASCII "msh" meshes created in Fluent meshing (see image below). It is important that the "msh" file is in ASCII format.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.