General Mechanical

General Mechanical

How to get plots with normalized ditance (X axis) and average output variable (Y axis) on ANSYS ?

• NadjouaB
      Subscriber

I want to get the Stress variation along a path, on ABAQUS (composite layup) the steps are clear and I got it directly, however on ANSYS ( I used ACPpre then Static Structural and lastly ACPpost) and I couldn't figure out how to get the same plots that I got on ABAQUS there (whetehr on static structural or ACPpost). If anayone was able to have such plots on ansys please let me know how.

(the model is a simple thin plate)

Pictures of the type of plot that I want and the ABAQUS configuration to get it are attached.

Thank you.

• Akshay Maniyar
      Ansys Employee

You can get results along the path in ansys.
      First you have to create the construction geometry by right clicking on model. (model After that, you can insert coordinates of points or select the start and end point.
      After clicking on the location on the surface, right-click the mouse, and select ÔÇ£Snap to mesh nodes"
      Then, click the Apply button for the Start point. Similarly, you can create End point.
      Once the path exists, results of interest can be mapped onto the path for postprocessing purposes, including linearized results that may be of interest when satisfying design codes.
      A linearized stress can be inserted below the Solution branch for an environment of interest.
      Regards amaniyar

• NadjouaB
      Subscriber
      Hello, thank you so much for your reply.
      I did create a path and selected result along the path but I didn't select the snap to mesh nodes and I didn't select linearized result. I will try that and hopefully I will get what I'm looking for.
      Thank you !
    • Akshay Maniyar
      Ansys Employee

Please mark this thread as solved, if it solves your problem.
      Thank you.
      regards amaniyar
    • NadjouaB
      Subscriber
      hello,
      Eventually that's not what I'm looking for, I knew I could get result along a path but what I'm looking for is to get average stress along the normalized distance (ratio of x/l l being the length of the line) as I mentioned in the post and I shared the picture of the plot obtained in Abaqus that I'm looking to get in Ansys.
      Thank you for your time.
    • Akshay Maniyar
      Ansys Employee

Please check following steps, if it help you in your requirements.
      If you want to have X-coordinate (and not distance along the edge) vs stress plot instead, you can create in the following way.
      1. Create a stress result along a path
      2. Create a User defined result along a path, with expression LOCX (for normalization you can divide by L in expression, if you know L)

3. Highlight both objects created above and create a Chart

regards amaniyar
    • NadjouaB
      Subscriber
      Thank you so much, ok I understood what I should do for the normalized distance for along the x axis, thank you so much. And do you have an idea on how to geth the 75% averaged stress value (Y axis) just like the abaqus one showed in the picture above ?
      Thank you so much for your time and effort !
    • Akshay Maniyar
      Ansys Employee

Can you tell me how exactly that stress value is calculated? It is also has values between 0 and 1.
      You can use user defined result to give some expression and get the value as you want.
      regards amaniyar
    • NadjouaB
      Subscriber
      Hello,
      Welle that's the problem, I'm trying to figure out the expression with which it's calculated on abaqus so that I use it in ansys. I asked thinking that maybe there's a direct way to do so in Ansys just like it's direct in Abaqus.
      Thank you so much for your time !

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.