LS Dyna

LS Dyna

How to get pressure variation along the water tank wall due to earthquake

• harsf
      Subscriber

I have modeled a water tank to observe the sloshing behavior due to earthquakes. I need to get the pressure variation along wall at a certain time with its height of wall (height vs pressure). I have used user-defined result pressure to get the variation. But I am uncertain of the results as it has higher positive and negative values in (Pa) for pressure. Is this correct or is there any other method to get the pressure values on wall.

• Ram Gopisetti
      Ansys Employee
      can you show us the material properties of water used and post the pressure in the normal direction , negative pressures are acceptable in this cases.
      Cheers, Ram
    • Chris Quan
      Ansys Employee
      Since you are looking for water pressure on the structure, the geometry being scoped to should be in water, not on the structure.
      You need to create local coordinate systems in water and place them very close to the structure surface.
      Then right click on Solution Information to insert point results trackers of pressure. Local coordinate systems are used to place these results trackers.
      Finally, run your model. When the simulation has completed, you will see time history of pressure at the selected locations of water.

• harsf
      Subscriber
      In the Initial post, there are pressure variation figures on wall and along the internal vertical edge of the wall. Here, I have attached the water properties and the pressure on the other wall (Pressure Y). I also have attached the mech.dat file too.
      Is negative pressure on walls due to water in an earthquake is acceptable? any reasons? can you explain or send me a reference to refer pls

• harsf
      Subscriber
      Hi I will do the suggestion you made and I will update you. Thank you

• harsf
      Subscriber
      Hi, In the Initial post, there are pressure variation figures on wall and along the internal vertical edge of the wall. Here, I have attached the water properties and the pressure on the other wall (Pressure Y). I also have attached the mech.dat file too.
      Is negative pressure on walls due to water in an earthquake is acceptable? any reasons? can you explain or send me a reference to refer pls.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.