General Mechanical

General Mechanical

How to identify a Spring ID?

• MickMack
      Subscriber

Hi,

I have a model with circa 450 different springs.

How do i identify them individually for scoping purposes?

Can they be selected in a manner similar to selecting an edge?

At each spring location there are three springs in X, Y and Z direction. I am using the UDR 'SMISC1' as shown below, scoped as a 'Result File Item'. The solution quantities and result summary are also included below for reference.

Kind Regards,

Michael

• MickMack
      Subscriber
      Hi can anyone help me with this?

Please note spring probes are not working as discussed in a previous post, hence why i am using user defined results
    • Erik Kostson
      Ansys Employee
      HI
      Not sure what you mean but the only way to get them is through their element type ids which is the same in your case as the material ids and goes from 25-480.

I have made a small sample script that creates these 456 results automatically for ids going from 25-480 - hope this is of some help to you.

• MickMack
      Subscriber

Thank you so much for your reply and for the sample script. I will try to elaborate more clearly.

How do i identify the element id of a spring at a single location, as shown in the image below?
      As the model gets larger it will not be practical to create results for all the springs in the model.

Please note at the location in the image below there are 3 number vertical Combin 39 springs using KEYOPT(3), in x , y and z directions.

I hope i have articulated this more clearly, Thanks Michael

• Erik Kostson
      Ansys Employee
      I think it is clear, I do not know I mean when you give the element type id, it will show you in the udr where it is - but I do not have answer to your question.

All the best

Erik
    • MickMack
      Subscriber

Thanks very much for your reply i really appreciate your assistance.

I wonder should i create a new post focussed on the spring probe not working. If this was working i would not need the UDR and it would make it far easier for me to identify and select individual springs.

I previously established that the spring probe will not work for COMBIN39 KEYOPT(3), but that it is working fine for COMBIN39 KEYOPT(4).

Thanks Michael
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.