Fluids

Fluids

How to impose forces on a rotational fluid domain

• AhmadBeqai
      Subscriber

Hello,

I have been trying to simulation a wind turbine using the Actuator Disc Method. In a nutshell, I made use of the porous domain formulation in Fluent, and I did some tweaks here and there, and I got some good data.

For now, I want to expand this method.

For the wind turbine, I have the aerodynamic forces and I am planning to impose them into points that imitate the shape of the blades. I was wondering if there is a way to add external forces onto specific rotating grid points.

Thank you,

Ahmad Beqai

• Karthik R
      Administrator
      Hello As a simple approximation, you could try to estimate the aerodynamic forces experienced by the turbine blades and impose the same net force on the actuator disc as a momentum source. It is a bit trickier than that because the forces are locally acting only on the turbine blades whereas you are attempting to generate a similar effect on an entire circular disc. Having said that, using a momentum source should work.
      I'd also recommend that you look into the literature to see if you can find something similar. You might find someone who has already looked into this before so you don't have to 'reinvent the wheel'.
      Karthik
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.