Electronics

Electronics

Topics relate to HFSS, Maxwell, SIwave, Icepak, Electronics Enterprise and more

How to improve inductor simulation in Maxwell?

• Nazarii
      Subscriber

Hello!

I want to ask about ways to improve Maxwell simulation results. Because I see some difference between measured and simuleted data for inductor with Nickel core. The value of inductance is satisfactory but AC resistance is bad for frequencies higher than 10 MHz.

I use: Solution type - Eddy Current; Excitations - Current 1 Amp.

Measured and Simulated results:

• Nazarii
      Subscriber
      Any thoughts on this?
    • Navya C
      Ansys Employee
      Hi @Nazarii Please share some screenshots of your model and how you set up the region to interpret the problem correctly.
      Please use the image option and not the Attachment option while sharing the screenshots.

Regards Navya

• Nazarii
      Subscriber

Please find attached screenshots.
      Thanks!
    • HDLI
      Ansys Employee

Could you check the effect of the displacement current in the model with high frequency? Please tick on them in "Set Eddy Effects" in 3D eddy current solution.
      Could you increase region to 5~10 times larger, compared the model size?
      Could you check the experiment and see if you have any other objects close to the measured parts? such as steel/aluminum test bench, steel/aluminum support or base, steel/aluminum cover of power supply, long wire connection, etc.
      HDLI

• Nazarii
      Subscriber

Thanks for your comment!
      I checked all combinations in "Set Eddy Effects" but not one give good results. I also tried to decrease the excitation current to 1mA - results was close to excitation current 1A.
      I tried to increase the region up to 10 times larger than model size, but it didn't improve the results.
      I am confident in the measurement results, because I measured this inductor on two different test fixtures and result was the same. Also I have version of this inductor without Nickel and simulation data from Ansys Q3D are close to the measurement data but Maxwell data are different (please see attached plot).

Thanks!
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.