Fluids

Fluids

How to Initialize double domains _ wind Turbine Transient CFD Simulation

• IqbalMesk
      Subscriber

Hello

I have two domains for a transient wind turbine cfd simulation. I dont know how to initialize these domain. Anyone can help. What values and where to put.

Regards,

Iqbal

• Karthik R
      Administrator

Hello Iqbal,

Thank you for your question. What are your two domains (are both Fluids or one fluid and one solid)? Do you want to have different initial conditions in them? If you don't mind, could you please provide some screenshots clearly marking your domains?

If you are to use the 'Initialization' options from the Fluent structure tree (assuming you are using Fluent), both your domains will be initialized with the same values you prescribed (under 'Standard' initialization settings).

Best Regards,

Karthik

• Raef.Kobeissi
      Subscriber

Are you using the 6 DOF and dynamic mesh method? 

• IqbalMesk
      Subscriber

I am using ANSYS CFX

I have two domains one stationary and one rotating as can been in the screenshot. I want to know how to inilialize both domains in a transient CFD simulation.

For steady state case, I used an inlet velocity -12m/s and stationary domain and -2.22 rad/s for the rotating domain. 

• Surya Deb
      Ansys Employee

Hi Iqbal,

You can turn on 'Domain Initialization' for each domain and then initialize the velocity and pressure. 

Are you using a Frozen Rotor condition for the interface? 

Also why do want to use transient with frame motion? I think you would need actual mesh motion for transient case.

Regards,

Surya

• Surya Deb
      Ansys Employee

You should ideally use Transient-Rotor-Stator interface condition for Rotor to Stator interface for a purelu transient case. 

You can also use a Stage (Mixing-plane) for transient although it will not be that accurate.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Surya

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.