Fluids

Fluids

How to introduce the relationship between pressure and permeability into fluent

• h395523899
      Subscriber

I want to simulate the seepage of the formation while considering the effect of pressure on permeability.

Where pressure = constant pressure - pressure on the flow field grid

How do I need to set up to establish the relationship between each mesh penetration rate and pressure?

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee

Non linear porous model with relative permeability and capillary pressure are available in Fluent.

• h395523899
      Subscriber

Can you tell me the specific point? I am using version 18.0 and may not have this module yet.

What I need now is to establish the relationship between pressure and permeability on each cell.

Define the value of the permeability by the pressure of the cell

I saw the setting of the permeability to choose Parameters, but did not understand its role.

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee
      You might have a look into the beta manual if you are working with 18.0.
      If you have a certain law you need to implement then you might need UDF.
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee

You'll need a UDF to relate pressure and permeability: the porous media and associated models assume the resistance (permeability) coefficients are constant and the pressure drop is a function of flow and wetting (if you have access to the Corey model). 

It's the same problem we see modelling trees: the leaves align with the wind at high flow so the actual resistance coefficient decreases but the pressure loss goes up. 

• h395523899
      Subscriber

I don’t know much about the use of udf.

Where should I edit the udf?

I saw that in the setting of the permeability, in addition to the constants, you can set the parameters.

Add udf here?

Can each penetration step change the permeability on the cell?

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee
      Check if the non linear porous model ( the Corey model) which accounts for relative permeability and capillary pressue is appropriate for you. If it does not apply you will require to write your own model via UDFs.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.