3D Design

3D Design

How to make an inside surface of helmet as a solid body?

• KumarVaibhav
      Subscriber

I have a helmet CAD wherein the outer shell is a solid body but the inner part which is a foam is surface body.I am trying to mesh the model to fluent to asses the airflow inside.But it is not able to generate the mesh so i am forced to remove the inner surface which takes away the holes to be analysesd for air flow.Can someone help me on this?I wanna retain the entire geometry.I tried to extrude the surface but then it is getting dislocated the upper outer shell and its cuts and the inside cuts in the foam?Help me pls what shall i do

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Kumar,

The foam should be modeled as a solid body, not a surface body, to assess the airflow around the foam. In your CAD system, construct the foam so it has a significant overlap (interference) with the helmet solid, even to the point of protruding to the outside of the helmet. There must be NO GAP between the back of the foam and the inside surface of the helmet. Then use a Boolean operation to Subtract the helmet solid from the foam solid.  This will make the helmet and the foam share a common surface. This will give the mesher a good chance to create a valid mesh.

Peter

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.