Fluids

Fluids

How to make Interface between irregular shaped Surface?

• schwaral
      Subscriber
      please see this as solvedn
    • schwaral
      Subscriber
      I am sorry please see this as solvednn
    • Karthik R
      Administrator
      Hello,nAre you saying that this issue is solved? Could you please clarify?nThanks.nKarthikn
    • schwaral
      Subscriber
      Unfortunately I solved my problem only partially. So I want to use this thread here again. nI have a 3D geometry with a randomly curved surface and has a thickness of 2mm (This is my porous media later on). On both sides of this porous media I have an Interface. I want to have the same mesh at the Interface. The reason for that is, because when I select in fluent matching Interface I get error of overlapping elements. nI used following to solve it, but it only improved the problem a little bit: (meshing tool)nManually set element size on ech surface of interface to the same value.nIdentical contact meshing group with a tollerance value that has the same value like the element size from point1.nmerge nodes with the same tolerance value.nreducing elemnt size helped in general but the nodes are somehow not merged at the interface (see image)nHow can I improve mesh quality at interface? I think this is the main problem for bad vonvergence.nPorous media in green. At Interface the nodes are not merged. nthis is the shape of the interfacen
    • Karthik R
      Administrator
      Hello,nYou seem to be on the right track. I'd try to solve this problem exactly how you are. nQuick question - are you using any Curvature settings during your Mesh generation? If not, I'd recommend that you use this. nAlso, what is the overall quality of the mesh - Maximum Skewness and Minimum orthogonal quality.nThank you.nKarthikn
    • schwaral
      Subscriber
      Should the nodes be graphically merged completely? when I zoom in, there are not exact on one point. nI used capture curvature and reduced the angle from 18 to 10?nI tried the option (rigth click on Interface --> set contact size). This option creates way more small sized elements around my interface compared to the method I use at the moment (set element size --> select the surface of interface). Do you see a big advatge between these two methods? I would like to use the first mentioned possibility but there are then to many cells around and far away from the interface. It would be impossible to run the simulation. nmaximum skewness is 1 (average 0,25) and minimum orthogonal quality is 0 (average 0,75) average quality = 0.82n
    • schwaral
      Subscriber
      why are there so many elements far away from my interface, when I use the contactsize option for the interface (last option in the picture). Like you can see in the picture, the porous media is very thin but the refined elements go with this option way to far towars the rigth side. This comments is describing point 3 from my previous comment. I am corious about that because I think skewness and so on is improved with this option. But my Computer cannot handle so many elements (3D results in over 10 Mio elements)nn
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      With a thin gap as you increase the surface resolution to be similar to the cell size through the gap the mesh elements become less stretched. With tet cells this also reduces the skew. nIn your model you almost certainly have very tight angles between the mask & face: focus in those areas for badly skewed cells. n
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.