Fluids

Fluids

How to make local refinement on particular part of a body?

• jasonsum25
      Subscriber

I want to simulate the aerodynamic drag of two high speed trains with different designs, but I got "Turbulent viscosity limited to viscosity ratio of 1.000000e+05 in xxx cells." throughout the step calculation in steady setup. 

Q1. is this warning message really matter to the simulation?

I checked the turbulent viscosity contour and saw the following red part is having high viscosity ratio.

I deduce that finer meshes are needed to those red area shown in above contour. However, I only know local face sizing but not local 3D volume sizing of a part in one body (i.e. the yellow part below). 

Q2. How to do the local 3D body mesh for local refinement on a particular part to resolve the viscosity ratio problem?

Q3. Is Inflation Meshing necessary for aerodynamic drag simulation? Do inflation layers near the  domain important for the drag evaluation?

• Vivek Praveen
      Ansys Employee

Hi jasonsum25,

Check out this informative video on the body of influence, which can resolve your concerns. Click

">here to watch the video.  Also, check out this course, which addresses all information regarding local sizing.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.