LS Dyna

LS Dyna

Topics relate to LS-DYNA, Autodyn, Explicit STR and more

How to mesh a complex surface?

TAGGED: ,

• Caleb Wood
      Subscriber

Hello,

I am trying to mesh the complex geometry shown below. I want it to be all 3D elements, and for each separate part to be connected so that the nodes from one section line up with the others. As of now, each "surface" is solid, and the columns are circular HSS sections. Is there a way to combine all the surfaces to one common surface and then mesh it all at once? 

Thank you,

Caleb

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Open the Geometry in SpaceClaim. On the Repair tab click the Extra Edges button and accept the correction. Click the Extra Points button and accept the correction if any.  On the Workbench tab, click the Share button and accept the result.  This will force each part to share nodes on the coincident faces, thereby "welding" the parts together over the all coincident faces when the geometry is meshed in the Mechanical app.

• Caleb Wood
        Subscriber

Before I dive in and download new programs, and you aware of any way to do this directly in LS-PrePost? Thank you.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

I don't use LS-PrePost so I don't know.  Another way is to use whatever CAD system created the geometry and use the Unite command to merge all the solids into one body. That will force the mesher to fill the one volume with Tet elements which are not as good as Hex elements.  In the Mechanical Model using the Mechanical meshing software operating on the Shared Topology from Spaceclaim, many of those bodies will be meshed with Hex elements.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.