General Mechanical

General Mechanical

How to model the system bellow in ansys via transient structural analysis? Find gif attached.

• Germano
    Subscriber
    Hello Ishan,
    thank you for your return. I followed steps presented in above video (youtube) but still I'm not obtaining a satisfying response. You are correct, the problem is similar to this one from Youtube that you showed, but I'm still have some problem. Please refer to figure bellow about the system I'm trying to simulate:
    Applying the same methodology from referred video and initial conditions from figures below (based on free length of each spring):

I've obtained the following result for M1 (upper mass), which is considerable different from results that I obtained from Matlab and data measured:
    ps: directional deformation returns the same results of position probe

Again, thank you for your support.

Regards Germano
  • peteroznewman
    Subscriber

From the details of the springs I can calculate the forces in the springs at T=0.
    Since the top mass is in equilibrium with gravity forces, I can calculate that mass.
    There is one piece of information missing, the mass of the bottom mass.
    If the Top Mass is different from what is calculated, then the simulation is not starting with the top mass in equilibrium. That would be a source of error between the simulation and an experimental measurement.
  • Germano
    Subscriber
    thank you for your insightful comment. Yes, in fact, taking into account free body diagram, initial length of middle spring was not correctly modeled. I adjusted it and also (maybe more important) I added inicial contact force of 1,98 N, as I calculated bellow (M1 = 0,313 kg and M2 = 0,186 kg).

After added remote force, as presented bellow (is it ok, right?):

The proposed model worked pretty well:
    Thanks to both of you!

Regards Germano
  • Viewing 4 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.