Fluids

Fluids

How to monitor a fraction of a surface area where a flow variable is below a certain value?

Tagged: 

• Konstantine Kourbatski
      Ansys Employee
      Hello,nI would like to do the following monitoring in my Fluent run. I'd like to calculate a fraction of an area on a surface where a variable of interest, for example static temperature, is less than the overall average of this variable over the surface, and then monitor it. nLet me know if it's possible. Do I need a UDF for this?n
    • Stephen Orlando
      Ansys Employee
      Hi,nThis is a good question. Such monitoring can be accomplished using built-in expression capabilities in Fluent, and no UDF is needed. The area of a surface where static temperature is less than a certain percentage of the average variable can be calculated with the following expressions. A report definition can then be created based on the uniformity expression to monitor the value during the run.n threshold = 0.1navg = Average(StaticTemperature,['outlet'],Weight ='Area')nareaoutlet = Area(['outlet'])nuniformity = Sum(IF(abs(StaticTemperature-avg)/avg
    • DrAmine
      Ansys Employee
      Using the default uniformity index report definition in a Fluent Expression can help reduce the number of required expressions in 's answer. nn
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.