Electronics

Electronics

How to open .aedt files with Ansoft Maxwell?

• KeplersSomnium
      Subscriber

Hello!
      Well, I created some projects on Maxwell, they have the extension ".aedt". They were made on Maxwell 16.

Now I am using a different computer, with Maxwell 16, but it only let me open projects with the extensions: ".mxwl", ".cls", ".da0" and ".da1".
      Is there a way to open those projects with the current computer? I get the message "Loading project faliled: "

I gotta say that the computer where I created the files had Ansys 16 and Maxwell 16. The current computer only have Maxwell 16 and no Ansys.

I will be very thankful because of any response!

• pgl
      Ansys Employee

Hi KeplersSomnium (great username BTW),

*.aedt files are ANSYS Electronics Desktop files. We introduced the Electronics Desktop at around Release 16 for our commercial products, but only introduced it to the academic teaching and research licenses at R19.1. So my best guess is that your old machine had a commercial license of Maxwell 16, and your new machine has the academic license key for Maxwell 16? 

If you take a look at your license file on the different (new) machine, do you see any line items (we call them increments) with electronics_desktop, electronics2d_gui, or electronics3d_gui present? (Don't post you license key here for privacy reasons OK).

The above assumes you are using each machine as it own license server (or on different networked license servers), if not and both machines are checking out licenses from the same license server on your network, then you might have a client side installation issue, that can be fixed with a fresh installation. If you take that path, try and upgrade to latest release (19.2).   

Let me know. Eager to get this sorted for you.

• KeplersSomnium
      Subscriber

Hello!

Thank you for the very fast response!
      Effectively, on my current computer, the licence file doesn't have any line about: electronics_desktop, electronics2d_gui, or electronics3d_gui

Do you think installing a commercial version of Ansys 16 would solve the problem? or should I go for the academic Ansys 19 version?

• pgl
      Ansys Employee

Firstly you need to have a license file with those increments present in order to access Electronics Desktop.

• The commercial product license has these as of release 16. The academic product license has these as of release 19.1. 

Secondly try and use the most recent release. Ideally Release 19.2.

• Note that upgrading from R16 to a newer release is not possible if you have a paid-up license that is un-maintained (out of TECS as we say). 

What type of license do you have available? Commercial or academic? Are they current on lease or TECS? If they are then you can and should upgrade.

Let me know your license status and I can then guide you as how to upgrade.   

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.