November 1, 2019 at 5:44 ambidhekSubscriber
Actually, I am trying to learn time history analysis in Workbench for a nonlinear structure, while applying acceleration in full transient analysis for nonlinear analyses, I am not being able to set boundary conditions while selecting base excitation for application of acceleration time history. Can I get any suggestions or procedures for performing time history analysis for a nonlinear reinforced concrete structure?
November 1, 2019 at 10:09 ampeteroznewmanSubscriber
You have two choices.
1. Use Fixed Supports on the base and apply an Acceleration load. This will act on the mass of the structure. All the displacements in the solution will be relative displacements to the base. This is your best choice.
2. Use matlab or other program to perform numerical integration on the acceleration-time history to compute the displacement-time history. Use that in a Displacement boundary condition. All the displacements in the solution will be absolute. In order to see the relative displacement of the tip of the model, you have to subtract off the base displacement. This is a pain. If you only care about stress or strain, then you get that without any extra effort.
November 2, 2019 at 4:03 pmbidhekSubscriber
Thank you so much Mr.Peter. I will try your suggestions. I may need more suggestions further, so I will not close this discussion.
November 5, 2019 at 9:58 ambidhekSubscriber
November 5, 2019 at 1:50 pmpeteroznewmanSubscriber
Set Base Acceleration to No to use the Acceleration load.
November 5, 2019 at 4:57 pmbidhekSubscriber
actually, I need to apply the base acceleration for seismic analysis of the shear wall to check the time history at different location of the shear wall. Is there any other way to apply base acceleration for full transient analysis for nonlinear time histories analysis in workbench without the linking transient with modal analysis?
November 6, 2019 at 12:52 ampeteroznewmanSubscriber
In a Transient Structural, with no Modal, you can apply Displacements to the base supports.
Use matlab or other program to perform numerical integration on the acceleration-time history to compute the displacement-time history. Use that in a Displacement boundary condition. All the displacements in the solution will be absolute.
November 6, 2019 at 12:55 ambidhekSubscriber
thank you Mr peter, I will try your suggestion.
April 30, 2020 at 5:27 ammustafasSubscriber
For Non-Linear Transient Analysis, if the base excitation is selected YES, boundary conditions can not be selected, a yellow highlight is present. If selected NO, then All Bodies is the only selection.
Hence I am kindly asking how to perform Non Linear Transient Analysis by applying acceleration to a boundary condition ?
May 4, 2023 at 12:24 amRandel IluminSubscriber
Hello. I would like to ask how about the weight or effect of gravity load? Is it right to add +9.81 to the vertical acceleration component?
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Boost Ansys Fluent Simulations with AWS
Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) helps engineers design products in which the flow of fluid components is a significant challenge. These different use cases often require large complex models to solve on a traditional workstation. Click here to join this event to learn how to leverage Ansys Fluids on the cloud, thanks to Ansys Gateway powered by AWS.
Earth Rescue – An Ansys Online Series
The climate crisis is here. But so is the human ingenuity to fight it. Earth Rescue reveals what visionary companies are doing today to engineer radical new ideas in the fight against climate change. Click here to watch the first episode.
Subscribe to the Ansys Blog to get great new content about the power of simulation delivered right to your email on a weekly basis. With content from Ansys experts, partners and customers you will learn about product development advances, thought leadership and trends and tips to better use Ansys tools. Sign up here.
- Solver Pivot Warning in Beam Element Model
- Saving & sharing of Working project files in .wbpz format
- Understanding Force Convergence Solution Output
- User manual
- An Unknown error occurred during solution. Check the Solver Output…..
- What is the difference between bonded contact region and fixed joint
- The solver engine was unable to converge on a solution for the nonlinear problem as constrained.
- whether have the difference between using contact and target bodies
- Defining rigid body and contact
- Colors and Mesh Display
© 2023 Copyright ANSYS, Inc. All rights reserved.