Fluids

Fluids

How to place a single bubble in a pipe flow

• nepomnyi
      Subscriber

Hello dear ANSYS community.

I am trying to model a single air-bubble in a vertical internal 3-D water flow in a pipe using ANSYS FLUENT 2019R2.

According to the video you may find at the end of this post and this article, I need to place a single bubble of a spherical form into my domain. Using Workbench I open "Design modeler" --> draw my spherical bubble --> use "Add frozen" to add material to my bubble --> draw my pipe around my bubble --> use "Add material" to add material to my pipe --> make "1 part and 2 bodies" in order to get continuous mesh. Then I do meshing, then I do simulation and get that my bubble doesn't move - instead water flow in the pipe moves around my bubble as if the bubble were fixed.

My questions are:

1) How must a single bubble be properly inserted into a pipe flow?
      2) Is this "geometrical" way of inserting bubble into the domain is valid at all?

I was wondering if anybody could answer my questions please. I understand that I haven't provided all the details - but since there is a whole lot of the details I don't know which ones to provide and am ready to provide any requested details.

Thank you very much in advance.

Ivan

• nepomnyi
      Subscriber

For those interested - I've found another solution (see the youtube video link below). Briefly - there is a way to create a droplet directly in FLUENT.

Still I am seeking answers on my questions.

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

yes, you can create droplet in fluent. it is the efficient way. 

as this is solved, can you please mark this as 'is solution' to help others on the community. 

Regards,

Keyur

If this helps, please mark this post as 'Is Solution' to help others.

Guidelines on the Student Community

How to access ANSYS help links

• nepomnyi
      Subscriber

Thank you @kkanade

Unfortunately, I am not ready to mark my post as resolved since your comment does not answer my questions and it will not help others in any way.

1) I asked if "geometrical" way of placing bubble in the flow is valid at all. You haven't directly answered this question. Your answer is difficult to understand. Also, proper capitalization in your writing would be highly appreciated - all lower cases make it more difficult to read. But at least it can be inferred from your answer that "geometrical" way of placing bubble in the flow is in fact valid. Well, while it is good to know that - it would've been even better if you could elaborate a little bit more on the matter.

2) I am aware that I can create a droplet in the flow. I asked HOW to place a bubble in the flow using design modeler. I explained in my post that I tried to do that and I failed.

Ivan

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

I think you are done with design modeler. You have created a void in pipe. This is what you need to do in DM. 

To move bubble in the flow, you will need multiphase simulation. Please go through help documentation for the same. 

Regards,

Keyur

If this helps, please mark this post as 'Is Solution' to help others.

Guidelines on the Student Community

How to access ANSYS help links

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.