General Mechanical

General Mechanical

How to put a load on surface in pound per foot of length surface

• sameerfares
      Subscriber

Hi All,

Is there a way in Ansys where i can input the load in pound per foot of surface length? For example, i'd like to put a load on the two green surfaces  and the load will be in pounds per foot along the length of the truss or joist members? i think can put the total force on the surface by taking the (load per foot) x( length of the green surface) then use "Force" in Mechanical, but i'd like to know if there is a way to do pound per foot because it will be easier to  compare load values with experimental testing.

Regards,

Sam 

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Hi Sam,

You can apply Pressure to any face of a surface or solid body. The Pressure will be applied to the area of the face. For flat faces, you can calculate the force applied by multiplying the pressure by the area. The pressure is applied normal to the face. If the area becomes twice as long, the force will double for the same value of Pressure.

Regards,
      Peter

• Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

If it is Force/Unit Length, Can you apply it to just the edge? See line pressure in that case.

Regards,
      Sandeep

• sameerfares
      Subscriber

Hi Sandeep,

When i tried to use Line pressure  and selected the two surfaces, and apply it in "Geometry", Mechanical doesn't accept.  I can't apply to edge because the lineal load is on the top  of green surface in my earlier picture. Think of  it like a wide flange beam with the load on the top surface of top flange and the load is uniform  and in pound per foot. I dont want to compute the total force every time i want to change the unifrom load(pound/ft). 

Regards,

Sam

• Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

Sam,

lbf refers to the force. Please see this article.

You might also find this example helpful.

Regards,
      Sandeep

• sameerfares
      Subscriber

Hi Sandeep,

Thank you for the videos. they are very helpful. My question to you how did go for the load Wx2 on the load diagram from (700*z) to (0.0803755*z) in Ansys Mech as shown below?

Regards,

Sam

• sameerfares
      Subscriber

Hi Peter,

I have a question regarding the videos Sandeep sent me a link to. My question is  how did go for the load Wx2 on the load diagram from (700*z) to (0.0803755*z) in Ansys Mech as shown below?

Regards,

Sam

• sameerfares
      Subscriber

I  answered  my own question about magnitude=0.0803755 *Z .

Thanks!

Sam

• Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

Yes, Just for completeness of this thread. Here is the calculation:

Regards,
      Sandeep

• sameerfares
      Subscriber

Thank you Sandeep!

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.