General Mechanical

General Mechanical

How to read a result file such as *.rst, *.rth, *.rmg and *.rfl?

• song
      Subscriber

How to read a result file such as *.rst, *.rth, *.rmg and *.rfl? This question seems naïve. I have posted one on reading result file issue with binlib.dll subroutines called "Using gfortran compiler to compile demo-files such as ResRdDemo.F against binlib.dll failed". I ask a question on reading result file with GUI here. 

I used command "ansys.exe -b -dir directory -i inputfile.txt -o ansys.txt" and ansys completed analysis. I believe that result in "ansys.txt" is correct.

1. When I use command "list->files->binary files->other->header only" to read "file.rst", but result is as following:

DUMP OF FILE= .DesktopbaoworkProject_1methodssetuprun_1m_1file.rst
         RECORDS       1 TO       1

RECORD=       1   LENGTH=     100   LOC=           0   KBF=     100      (HEADER RECORD)
       SOURCE:  ANSYS PROGRAM                
       UNIT:  12      FILE FORMAT: External
       RECORD LENGTH:  16384      FILE SIZE:        72888     SPLIT POINT:    UNKNOWN
       NUMBER OF DISTRIBUTED MEMORY PROCESSES:   1
       NUMBER OF SHARED MEMORY THREADS:   2
       CREATION TIME: 19:17:56
       CREATION DATE: 10/14/2018
       RELEASE: 19.0      UPDATE: 20171214

SYSTEM:        WINDOWS x64
       PRODUCT NAME:  FULL   
       JOBNAME(1:8):  file   
       JOBNAME(12): file                           
       USER:          User       

TITLE:  Bridge Truss Tutorial                                               
       SUBTITLE:                                                                    

UNITS: UNDEFINED  

The header format of this result is different from  The Standard Header for ANSYS Binary Files. I want to know why? as a user, how to read useful results from binary result files if the header format is various or random. In addition, I can not find any useful results in this file.rst.

2. When I use command "list->files->binary files->other->all records" to read "file.rst", it shows warning:

"Result file written in parallel -AUX2 DUMP may abort. Use PTR,LOC,BASE to view the records in that case". I do not know how PTR,LOC,BASE to view the records because I cannot find how on any manual.

Any help or comments will be appreciated.

Song

• Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

what software are you using to read the file?

Isn't it Mechanical or APDL? It would typically have to be either of these.

• song
      Subscriber

Hello Sandeep,

Thanks for your response. I use Mechanical APDL.

Song

• Mike Rife
      Ansys Employee

Song

When you use MAPDL to list the result file header like that, it is interpreting the numerical header into a human readable form for the users convenience.  If you really want to find out the numerical values please see the following:

ANSYS 19 Help -> Mechanical APDL -> Programmer's Reference -> I Guide to Interfacing with ANSYS -> Chapter 1.1.2 The Standard Header for ANSYS Binary Files.  Also Chapter 1.2.3 Results File Format

In the result file there is a standard binary file header, then a header specific to the result file.    

Mike

• song
      Subscriber

Hello Mark,

thanks for your time. it is resolved.

Song

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.