Fluids

Fluids

How to remove h5 extension

• i.tamunodienye2
      Subscriber

Hi,

Please how do i remove .h5 extension in case and data files of Ansys fluent. I am using version 2022R2

The HPC does not support .cas.h5 and .dat.h5. This is a serious problem.

I tried making legacy default in "Preference" but this did not change.

Please i need help.

Thanks

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

Yes, you can change it in Preference. 

Also you can use TUI commands to write case and data files. 

/ file write

Regards,

Keyur

How to access Ansys Online Help Document

Guidelines on the Student Community

• i.tamunodienye2
      Subscriber

Hello Keyur,

I have done so but it's coming out as .cas.h5 and .dat.h5.

Please i need help

• i.tamunodienye2
      Subscriber

NOTE: Parallel data (.pdat) files are no longer supported. The ANSYS common fluids format (CFF) is recommended instead; it has optional modes that allow parallel I/O.

• i.tamunodienye2
      Subscriber

NOTE: Parallel data (.pdat) files are no longer supported. The ANSYS common fluids format (CFF) is recommended instead; it has optional modes that allow parallel I/O. 

The above message appeared after i typed command file/write-case

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

The preferences are per system, so if the HPC isn't seeing your local machine you may need to set preferences on that machine too. Preferences can be adjusted by the TUI so you may find a couple of extra lines in the run journal are necessary. 

• i.tamunodienye2
      Subscriber

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your response.

Over the years the below journal TUI steps had been working for me with 2020R2 version. There's no h5 extension

And get results like below

With the 2022R2 version i did as shown below 

The simulation runs but no output files.

I tried again to adjust like below 

Its the same thing. The simulations runs but no output files.

I have never experience this issue when i was using .cas and .dat files only.

Please i need help in case  i missed some lines.

Thanks 

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

I always use /file/rc or /file/rcd  and never rely on the TUI menu being in the root level. Other than you not needing to add .dat.h5 to the name it looks OK. 

However, depending on models, /s could be /server or /solve and then /d can be  /dpm-update, /dual-time-iterate or return an error. 

• i.tamunodienye2
      Subscriber

Thanks for response.

In essence i should try to know what /s and /d imply in 2022R2 model. Could it be the issue?

I have also tried just with .cas and .dat without adding the .h5. It still ran but no output files.

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Possibly. The use of short cuts can be a little dangerous as some can represent the wrong command: we've had a few hiccups over the years with these and I expect them to continue! 

• i.tamunodienye2
      Subscriber

Also, this is 1-way FSI simulation. Is there any line in the fluent journal specifically for fluid-structure interaction case?

• i.tamunodienye2
      Subscriber

Note, I am doing 1-way FSI directly in Fluent.

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

That may depend on how you're linking the code(s). If you're just spitting out data for Mechanical to use later on you may just need legacy data files. 

• i.tamunodienye2
      Subscriber

I did everything in Fluent.

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

OK, use the h5 format and either reduce the autosave frequency or retain fewer files. I’d switch to running standalone so I could control things more easily. 

Edit, forgot to add, make sure you save case and data. 

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.