Photonics

Photonics

How to resume a a simulation run after FlexNet license got disconnected and or computer goes sleep

• Infinite
      Subscriber

Hello, Is there a way to resume the FDTD simulation run (also sweep run) after the computer get connection back to FlexNET license server? Also in case if computer goes to sleep or loose internet connection? In this case the local computer that is running the simulation is getting from a license server computer.

Thank you

• Greg Baethge
      Ansys Employee

Thank you for your post. FDTD has a "checkpoint" option in the "Advanced options" tab:
      This takes a "snapshot" of the simulation, either at the end, or regularly during the simulation. The snapshot is stored in a file in the same folder. With this file, you can resume the simulation:
      In the situation you describe, you would have to choose the first option, "checkpoint during simulation" and set the period, for example, every 5mn. Then, when you run the simulation, a checkpoint is done every 5 mn. If the simulation is stopped before its completion, you can resume it from the last checkpoint.
      Parameter sweeps have the option to continue:
      This will check if there's any file that hasn't run and run them.
      You can use both options, I think, but manually: if the simulations stopped, first identify if some stopped during the calculation. If so, resume them. Then continue the sweep with the remaining calculations.
      I hope this will help.

• Infinite
      Subscriber
      Hello Greg_baethge Thank you so much for your quick response.
      with your suggested method I was able to resume the single simulation run.
      But for sweep when I click the continue, then it first shows the message, that it is not finding the 1st run file, thought that file was completed and was in the folder, then shows that 'you do not have right to right in the directory". Then it keep going all by generating the same messages for all the files and there is no way to stop it or even close the file, unless I restart the computer. Please see the attached for the messages.
      Could you have some idea how can I handle this situation for resume the sweep run from the last completed run please?
      Thank you
    • Greg Baethge
      Ansys Employee

That sounds like a disk access issue. Is F: a local disk or a shared drive? If the latter, try and copy the files in a local disk. The error shows something weird with the path, as the drive appears twice!
      F:/Ho_F/2D/1tap/F:/Ho_F...
      I'm not too sure if it could be the cause. It seems the sweep tool has some issues with getting back to the right folder if the file name is too long. Could you try and rename the fsp file with a shorter name?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.