Fluids

Fluids

How to run fluent case on HPC cluster?

• pawar002
      Subscriber

Hello,

I want to run my fluent case on remote HPC cluster system. I am using windos 10. 

Thanks

• Karthik R
      Administrator

Hello,

Thank you for your question. Please refer to the Fluent Users guide for instructions on how to run Fluent on the Windows cluster using command line. I am posting a screenshot of the same. Please let us know here if this is what you are looking for.

Best,

Karthik

• pawar002
      Subscriber

Hi Kremella,

Actually, ANSYS 19.0 is installed on Linux based cluster and I have ssh credentials to connect with it. I want to know that how to write a batch script to submit the fluent.cas and fluent.dat file on the cluster to run the case from windows 10. I am using ANSYS Academic Research Licence. I also want to know that how many nodes I can use for parallel processing.      

Thank you.

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Batch scripts are covered in Chapter 4 of the Getting Started Manual, but the exact method will also depend on how your cluster is set up: IT may need to advise on that.  Re the number of cores it'll come down to what is available on the hardware and how many parallel licences you have access to. 

• pawar002
      Subscriber

I am trying to submit the job on the cluster but i am getting an error.

Thanks

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee

Check with your  IT if the server is down and let them check server and client diagnostics.

• seeta gunti
      Ansys Employee

Hi 

Error message is saying that could not connect to any license server. I guess this could be an issue with the server. Please check with your IT team about the license is upgraded in the server or not and also on server issues.

Regards,

Seeta

• pawar002
      Subscriber

Hello,

I am trying to run the case but now i getting this error:

/home/ansys_inc/v190/fluent/fluent19.0.0/bin/fluent -r19.0.0 3ddp -g -cnf=/var/spool/torque/aux//1521.umkc-hpc -t32 -i 3D_HP.jou

/home/ansys_inc/v190/fluent/fluent19.0.0/cortex/lnamd64/cortex.19.0.0 -f fluent -g -i 3D_HP.jou (fluent "3ddp -pmpi-auto-selected  -host -r19.0.0 -t32 -mpi=ibmmpi -cnf=/var/spool/torque/aux//1521.umkc-hpc -path/home/ansys_inc/v190/fluent -ssh")

/home/ansys_inc/v190/fluent/fluent19.0.0/bin/fluent -r19.0.0 3ddp -pmpi-auto-selected -host -t32 -mpi=ibmmpi -cnf=/var/spool/torque/aux//1521.umkc-hpc -path/home/ansys_inc/v190/fluent -ssh -cx node002:430233668

Starting /home/ansys_inc/v190/fluent/fluent19.0.0/lnamd64/3ddp_host/fluent.19.0.0 host -cx node002:430233668 "(list (rpsetvar (QUOTE parallel/function) "fluent 3ddp -flux -node -r19.0.0 -t32 -pmpi-auto-selected -mpi=ibmmpi -cnf=/var/spool/torque/aux//1521.umkc-hpc -ssh") (rpsetvar (QUOTE parallel/rhost) "") (rpsetvar (QUOTE parallel/ruser) "") (rpsetvar (QUOTE parallel/nprocs_string) "32") (rpsetvar (QUOTE parallel/auto-spawn?) #t) (rpsetvar (QUOTE parallel/trace-level) 0) (rpsetvar (QUOTE parallel/remote-shell) 1) (rpsetvar (QUOTE parallel/path) "/home/ansys_inc/v190/fluent") (rpsetvar (QUOTE parallel/hostsfile) "/var/spool/torque/aux//1521.umkc-hpc") )"

Welcome to ANSYS Fluent Release 19.0

Copyright 1987-2017 ANSYS, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Unauthorized use, distribution or duplication is prohibited.

This product is subject to U.S. laws governing export and re-export.

For full Legal Notice, see documentation.

Build Time: Dec 18 2017 15:05:43 EST  Build Id: 10138  

ANSYS LICENSE MANAGER ERROR:Could not connect to any license server. 

The server is down or is not responsive. 

ANSYSLI_SERVERS: 2325@KC-ISSS-LS06 

FLEXlm Servers: 27005@KC-ISSS-LS06

I have one question, I have set up my case in windows ANSYS 17.2. And in the cluster (Linux OS), it is ANSYS 19.0 (Linux version). is this error because of different OS version or what? 

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee

The error is due to licensing issue. Error message is saying that could not connect to any license server. I guess this could be an issue with the server. Please check with your IT team about the license is upgraded in the server or not and also on server issues.

• pawar002
      Subscriber

with five academic research licence how many CPUs I can use?

Welcome to ANSYS Fluent Release 19.0

Copyright 1987-2017 ANSYS, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
                    Unauthorized use, distribution or duplication is prohibited.
                    This product is subject to U.S. laws governing export and re-export.
                    For full Legal Notice, see documentation.

Build Time: Dec 18 2017 15:05:42 EST  Build Id: 10138  

This is an academic version of ANSYS FLUENT. Usage of this product
           license is limited to the terms and conditions specified in your ANSYS
           license form, additional terms section.

Host spawning Node 0 on machine "node012" (unix).
      /home/ansys_inc/v190/fluent/fluent19.0.0/bin/fluent -r19.0.0 2ddp -flux -node -t32 -pmpi-auto-selected -mpi=ibmmpi -cnf=/var/spool/torque/aux//1545.umkc-hpc -ssh -mport 172.16.0.12:172.16.0.129139:0
      Starting /home/ansys_inc/v190/fluent/fluent19.0.0/multiport/mpi/lnamd64/ibmmpi/bin/mpirun -e MPI_IBV_NO_FORK_SAFE=1 -e MPI_USE_MALLOPT_MMAP_MAX=0 -f /tmp/fluent-appfile.vrp1.110269

Unable to spawn node: license not available.
      ANSYS LICENSE MANAGER ERROR: Not enough ANSYS Research Associate Parallel licenses 32/16.

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee

So that means your initial problem is resolved. Please mark then this topic accordingly.

A single academic license can run up to 16 CPU cores, or alternatively up to 8 GPU cards. So in order to run on 32 CPU cores you require the academic license task (solver + inbuilt 16 CPU cores) + 16 ANSYS Academic HPC Associate Licences. 

• pawar002
      Subscriber

Hello abenhadj,

So if, I have 4 academic license can i use 4*16 = 64 CPUs?

Thank you.

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee

No. You need academic HPC licences.

• cs437
      Subscriber

Hi,

I run both HPC Server and local computer; however, the scaled residuals are different like one or two orders of magnitude. On my local computer, which is very slow, reached 10^-3 or 10&-4 while just 10^-1 is on HPC at the same iteration. Is this possible?

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee
      Open new thread please and yes that can be possible if using different partitions versions and not really converged.
Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.