General Mechanical

General Mechanical

How to run this model

• sarin
      Subscriber
    • Gary Stofan
      Ansys Employee
      Anytime you apply a force load to close (or clamp) a non-linear contact, it can be difficult to converge as the contact will often penetrate through each other.nThis is because the contact offers little or no initial stiffness while the load is starting to be applied.nA few tips:nApply the bolt load in multiple steps. 1st step, use a very small load. This will allow the contact to mate or resolve. 2nd step increase to full load.nAnd/Or apply a 0,0,0 displacement in the first step to hold the structure steady while the load is being applied. Deactivate the displacement to let go in the 2nd or subsequent steps.nConsider instead applying the bolt pretension as a (length) adjustment. Use the pretension reaction to determine if you are close to 7500 load. Displacements are often much easier to converge with nonlinear contacts that are pressures or forces.nA general internet search for the terms Ansys nonlinear contact convergence produces several resources that may be helpful.
    • Dragana Jandric
      Ansys Employee
      If you are going to run this with the frictional contact, then analysis is nonlinear. In analysis settings Large deflection should be ON, and usually a number of subsets would be needed to get the solution. n
    • sarin
      Subscriber
      Thanks for the suggestions. How do I apply displacement in the first step and deactivate in the remaining steps. n
    • Gary Stofan
      Ansys Employee
      Conditions such as Fixed Supports are not step aware.nHowever, we can accomplish same by using a Displacement of 0,0,0 with Tabular Data loading.nIn my example below I have 5 steps. To deactivate at step 3, right click in the grid Activate/Deactivate..A general internet search for the terms Ansys activate deactivate loads ansys workbench produces several resources that may be helpful.nn
    • sarin
      Subscriber
      Thanks Gary. Appreciate it.n
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.