Fluids

Fluids

How to select and specify material for voids after boolean subtract operation

• rogannithin99
      Subscriber

To simulate solidification and melting of PCM balls, I have separated the enclosure (fluid domaim) by Boolean-subtract. It results in 1 - part body.
      There are two materials involved in my simulation, one is water and the other, PCM. Now, I can specify material for fluid domain. But, I don't know how to select material for PCM ball, which is represented as a empty space after boolean-subtract.
      Looking for an early reply
      Thanks

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

You have to set the Boolean subtract to Keep Tools so that you have the solid spheres at the end. Those are assigned the PCM properties.

• nagasudhan
      Subscriber

Alright. Thanks for your kind reply

Now I got 2 different bodies(PCM balls and Fluid domain). How should I mesh them separately.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

You want all bodies in the same part.  Select all bodies in the Outline, and right click to Form New Part.

You can assign mesh controls to each body separately.  They will both be automatically meshed with shared nodes on the coincident faces so there will be no need for Contact.

• nagasudhan
      Subscriber

I think I need two bodies, so that I can specify fluid domain as a fluid and PCM balls as a solid in cell zone conditions.

So, Totally I need two bodies(PCM balls and Fluid domain), which is also to be meshed separately.Is there any connection to be created between them?

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

You have two bodies in two parts.

When the two bodies are in one part, the mesh automatically connects them using Shared Topology.

If you have two bodies and two parts, that is worse because now you need additional Contact elements to connect them.

• nagasudhan
      Subscriber

Thanks again peter,

So, after making it as a single part, it results in conformal mesh right ?

After doing that will I be able to assign different materials in Fluent. Which is water for a fluid domain and PCM properties for Balls.

Since, I am beginner in fluent,  I am getting many doubts. Thanks for your response.

• nagasudhan
      Subscriber

I tried creating mesh after making it  a new part. I am getting 4 error messages and mesh is also failed

Can you help !

Thank you.Failed Mesh

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Once you have 1 Part, 2 Bodies, you get a conformal mesh.

If you have two balls tangent, that creates a very sharp edge of fluid that is very difficult to mesh.  It is easier to mesh if you either make a small gap between the balls or have a small overlap of the balls to get away from a 180 degree edge angle.

• nagasudhan
      Subscriber

Okay, I have made a gap of 0.2mm between the balls for the porous zone (Fluid domain), Is that fine ?

Now, mesh was successfully tranferred to fluent.

Thanks for your guidance.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

If it works for you, that is fine. 

Please select one of the posts above and click the Is Solution link below it (when you are logged in) to mark this Discussion as Solved.

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Does the liquid PCM mix with the water? Or does it remain separate like oil & water. 

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

this started as geometry issue. if geometry issue is resolved, can you please mark this as 'is solution' and create a new post for any other question under specific category to help others on community and get better response 

Regards,

Keyur

If this helps, please mark this post as 'Is Solution' to help others.

Guidelines on the Student Community

How to access ANSYS help links

• nagasudhan
      Subscriber

PCM doesn't gets mixed with water, it is enclosed inside spherical capsule.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.