Fluids

Fluids

How to Set Confining Pressure Boundary Condition in a porous Media

• ballisticme
      Subscriber

Dear All,

I am trying to simulate a porous media system in either Fluent or CFX and need to impose a "Confining pressure" and "pore Pressure" in the simulation. My efforts so are:

1. pore pressure can be imposed by giving a pressure outlet condition. (Not too sure though).

2. trying the confining pressure; in Fluent I did not get any headway but in CFX I see stuff like "opening pressure and direction" as a way of adding pressure to the wall but I am not sure if this is correct.

Please, I need help on this and have attached the domain here.

Thanks,

Yaqub

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee

Does it mean that the whole system is under the same pressure?  What about using that pressure as pressure datum (operating pressure)?

• ballisticme
      Subscriber

Dear Amine,

Thanks for responding.

As much as I know and tried, using the operating pressure doesn't work.

It is like a petroleum reservoir where the reservoir (porous media) is pressurized within and the overlying formations exert some pressure on the reservoir block of which the difference gives the effective stress. 

I need to impose that confining pressure on the porous block

Thanks,

Yaqub

• Karthik R
      Administrator

Hello,

Is confining pressure preventing the flow? How is it different t from pore pressure? Would you expect the fluid to flow from the boundaries where you are applying confining pressure?

Best,

Karthik

• ballisticme
      Subscriber

Dear Karthik,

No, it does not prevent the flow.

Fluid would still flow from the inlet (higher pressure) to the outlet (lower pressure) region. In a porous media, the confining pressure tends to affect the material property by reducing/altering the porosity and or permeability while fluid still flows from inlet to outlet. That is how a typical petroleum reservoir works.

Thanks,

Yakubu 

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.