General Mechanical

General Mechanical

How to set oscillating velocity in ANSYS Structural

• Samina
      Subscriber

Hi. I am modeling a two-way fluid-solid interaction, a backward-facing step using an oscillating fin to capture its secondary vortices. I want to set v= aw sin(wt) with defined values of a and w and give this velocity to a vertical fin installed in the top wall of this channel. I want to know what steps should I take to give an oscillating velocity to this fin?

• 1shan
      Ansys Employee
      Is the oscillating flap rigid or is it flexible? If its a rigid body then I don't think a 2 way FSI would be needed you could use a dynamic mesh in fluent(
      " target="blank">
      ). If its flexible then you can insert a remote displacement scoped to the geometric entity you want to oscillate and define the magnitude as a function of time ( ex: sin(100*time)).
      Regards Ishan.
  • Samina
    Subscriber
    Thanks for your helpful answer. So, whenever the deformation of the solid body impacts the fluid zone, and the fluid applies force to the solid, a two-way FSI will be needed. If the solid deforms, should I use the velocity support (instead of a fixed one) and define the oscillating velocity?
  • 1shan
    Ansys Employee
    Velocity support should work as well. Also have a look at
    " target="blank">
    and this 2 way FSI tutorial of an oscillating plate https://ansyshelp.ansys.com/account/secured?returnurl=/Views/Secured/corp/v195/sysc_tut/sysc_tut_oscplate.html
    Regards Ishan.

• Samina
    Subscriber
    Thank you for your guidance. I will check them out.
  • Viewing 4 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.