Fluids

Fluids

How to set surface distance or wrap distance of an airfoil as the x-axis in Fluent or CFD-post

• Susan
      Subscriber

Dear all,

I need to export data along the surface of an airfoil and set surface distance or wrap distance as the x-axis.

I think surface distance or wrap distance means the arc length from the most leading-edge as follows,

• Murari Iyengar
      Ansys Employee
      Hi Susan You can create a Polyline in CFD-Post along the surface and plot data on this line. To know more about Polyline, please look at the link below.
      12.1.10. Polyline Command (ansys.com)
      The same can be done in Fluent as well. In this case, you would have to create a iso-surface. By selecting a specific surface, you can create a line along the surface. You can take a look at the tutorial below for more information.
      " target="blank">ANSYS FLUENT: Iso surface & Iso clip - YouTube
  • DrAmine
    Ansys Employee
    X axis will be the curve length. Rely on my colleague's post.
  • Susan
    Subscriber
    Dear Both, thank you so much for your quick help. That works but can I get minus curve length or I need to change that manually?

• DrAmine
    Ansys Employee
    Can you adjust plot direction and share screenshot?
  • Susan
    Subscriber
    Hi DrAmine, honesty, I don't know how to create a line along the airfoil surface in Fluent and I can only create an iso-surface. So I did the plot in CFD-Post because there is an option that I can use the intersection (the green line). However, please see the last chart, I am confused that it is a close line, do you know what is the problem? For the plot direction, I can only find that option in Fluent xy-plot and how can I set in CFD-post? Thank you so much.

• DrAmine
    Ansys Employee
    It will be a close line as your intersection is a closed curve: so as expected. You probably need to split the airfoil walls into upper and lower parts or you limit the cut somehow to obtain only the upper or lower part.
  • Susan
    Subscriber
    Will do. Thank you very much.!
  • Viewing 7 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.