Discovery Import

Discovery Import

How to set up geometry for indoor thermal comfort case with a thermal manikin?

• eugenzilio
      Subscriber
      Assuming I have the geometry of the manikin and the geometry of the room, what format and geometry configuration do I need to perform a study involving thermal effects? I have tried two things so far, to no avail: (a) I've tried to set up solid (manikin) to fluid (air) heat transfer, which is not supported in ANSYS Discovery Live. (b) I've also subtracted the manikin from the fluid domain and imported the fluid geometry into Discovery Live. This worked for simulating fluid flow. I subsequently tried to assign thermal boundary conditions to the "walls" of the manikin. However, the geometry is faceted: Not only is it not feasible to assign the same boundary condition to all facets, the software crashes when I try to do so (the manikin is quite detailed).
    • Naresh Patre
      Ansys Employee

Hello Eugene Mamulova

Solid fluid heat transfer analysis is not available in Ansys Discovery Live, so you won't be able to perform this analysis.

Since the manikin is a detailed faceted geometry, I would suggest converting it to a solid geometry using Reverse Engineering tools available in the Tools menu of Discovery Live. For example, tools like Auto Skin, Skin Surface. Once you get a solid geometry, you can use it in your analysis.

• eugenzilio
        Subscriber

Hi Naresh Patre

Thank you for your reply. I will try the tools you have suggested. Do you then suggest subtracting the manikin from the fluid domain as I mentioned in (b) or is there another way to work around the solid-fluid problem? 

• Naresh Patre
      Ansys Employee

Hello Eugene Mamulova

To perform a fluid solid heat transfer (CHT) problem, you will have to use other applications like Discovery AIM, or Ansys Discovery (Refine mode).

• eugenzilio
        Subscriber
        Hi Naresh Patre Thank you, I will give Ansys Discovery (Refine) a go. I managed to simulate the velocity field when I subtracted the manikin from the geometry, leaving only the fluid domain:

Just to verify, is there no workaround for simulating thermal effects for this geometry on GPU (Explore)?
      • Naresh Patre
        Ansys Employee

Eugene Mamulova 

Fluid solid heat transfer (CHT) problem cannot be solved in Discovery Explore mode as of now.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.