General Mechanical

General Mechanical

How to simulate a transient thermal analysis moving heat source for additive manufacturing processes

• michaelymr
      Subscriber

Hello,

I was wondering how would you conduct a transient thermal analysis for an AM process with a moving heat source. I have come across a video on youtube that has the simulation type I want to do but I could not find any tutorial on how to do it. The video is 

I have the AM process module in ANSYS mechanical workbench and also access to ANSYS ADPL.

Thank you for your help,

Michael

• yizhang1
      Ansys Employee

There are two "difficulties" for this kind of model: 1. you are adding material(elements) with time. and 2. you need to specify a heat input (temperature or heat) to the element that is just added.

For the first point, you could use element birth/death to realize that. the idea is to "kill" all elements except the substrate at the beginning (t=0s), and then you specify the sequence to "alive" the elements in your desired order. 

For the 2nd point, you can use temperature or heat generation rate and scope it on an element. activate this boundary condition when the element is just "alive". 

Everything here mentioned can be done within the Workbench Mechanical Interface. See the picture, the tool you needed is element birth and death and one of those thermal BCs. 

• Bahri
      Subscriber

Hello,

I am PhD student at Turkey. I am studying exactly this situation. How can I find any tutorial or APDL codes on this simulations?

I hope help me please!.. My student mail adress: "bahri.sekerci.07@gmail.com" 

• Bahri
      Subscriber

Hello,

I was wondering how would you conduct a transient thermal analysis for an AM process with a moving heat source. I have come across a video on youtube that has the simulation type I want to do but I could not find any tutorial on how to do it. The video is 

I have the AM process module in ANSYS mechanical workbench and also access to ANSYS ADPL.

Thank you for your help,

Michael

Dear Michal,

Can you share your modules? I need really help for my PhD thesis!.. I hope return to me!..

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.