Fluids

Fluids

how to simulate moving point heat source in ANSYS CD

• sanjaytiwari
      Subscriber

My Name is Sanjay. I am student in Department of Production in GPEM [global production enginering & management]. I am in second year of Masters degree programme.

I am doing my Thesis with Prof. Jacek Senkara. My work is in the area of Plasma Thermal overlaying process. I have some analysis to be conducted in ANSYS.

I want to know how we can simulate a moving point heat source with set boundary condition in ANSYS [ example of welding torch moving over plate to weld] . I did the simulation of Steady and Transient state heat condition but it is not directly related to the welding analysis which i am working on.

I am in desperate need of help. If you can please provide me your valuable guidance i will be indebt. 

I am stuck up at this point from past 2 months i am reading literature and journals but i could not find the exact solution which i need.

Looking forward for a positive and early reply.

Regards

Sanjay Tiwari

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

You need to use UDF for that.

You will need to use DEFINE_SOURCE macro in UDF. 

Please check customization manual in help for further information on UDF. 

• sanjaytiwari
      Subscriber

Hi kkande,

Heartily Thanks, for the response.

But i am unable to understand as i am unble to decode the sentence you have said.

Please breif it and if possible provide a link for detailed explaination (like youtube link or any web link)

I know i am asking toooo much but if you my simulation will work. I will give you a beer party( as many you wish)

regards,

sanjay

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

UDF is user defined function. 

Please go through following videos. 

You will need to write similar UDF using macro DEFINE_SOURCE.

Please go through customization manual in help. 

• sanjaytiwari
      Subscriber

Thanks for an early reply.

Now i understand what UDF is.

In above example the C coding has been done for the system and the effect is observed.

But in my case if i will do coding for the Moving point heat Source ( welding torch) then how can i see the effect on the metal plate ie weld pool which is created due to the heat transfer.

Thanks in advance

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

If you're wanting to melt material then you'll probably want to use either the solidification model or one of the multiphase models.  Otherwise, to take your original question you just look to see where the hot spot is with time. 

Please can you put some more details in so we know exactly what you want to get out of a model: that'll help guide what needs to go into it. 

• sanjaytiwari
      Subscriber

Hi

Sorry for dely

past few days was busy with college, presetation and assignment.

ok

my thesis is 

plasma - thermal overlaying- mainly Ni and Tungesten carbide as material to be overlay on the alloy steel. Research is to be done on how the weld pool behaves as the specific gravity and structure of carbide is diiferent from tungesten and nickel.

Chances are higher that in the weld pool carbide will submerge inside the weld pool and will come at the top.

I am doing the practical in my college lab in the sense of microstruture but i want to compare it with ANSYS results.

So i at the intial step i will creat weld pool and then after it i will try to see how the metal flows inside that pool.

I have notated in quite breif if you wont get it please let me know.

I am in poland Warsaw i am seeking every prof. for this but they are not involved in this area hence i am at present crippled. Few freinds are doing some work on CFD but that is limited to standard condition like hot and cold liquid flow or flow over wing.

THANKS A LOT FOR RESPONSE. BECAUSE YOU DONT KNOW YOU ARE MY LAST HOPE .IF YOU HAVE ANY QUERY PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

MY EMAIL ADDRESS er.sanjaytiwari@hotmail.com  

• sanjaytiwari
      Subscriber

I AM STILL WAITING FOR THE RESPONSE.

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

As Rob has mentioned if you're wanting to melt material then you'll probably want to use either the solidification model or one of the multiphase models.  Otherwise, to take your original question you just look to see where the hot spot is with time. 

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.