Fluids

Fluids

how to simulate the capillary rise of water in porous media?

• nagesh56
      Subscriber

I want to find the height of liquid rise in porous media due to capillary action for given values of porosity and permeability of the copper foam. Which model is suitable for this and how to do the simulation?.

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

There are models in Fluent for the wetting resistance in the Porous models, but I don't think that's what you're after. 

Given the porous media model is a lumped resistance I also don't think that's suitable to find the height.  

If you need to find the rise height you may need to model the structure and then use VOF to see what happens: this isn't going to be practical with the student licence given the cell count available. You'll also have to figure out a way to create the structure. 

Moving to Fluids. 

• nagesh56
      Subscriber

Thank you for replay, but I want to know that there are some options available to simulate the porous media by defining the properties of the porous media the region. So can we do by this method or there is some other way is there to approach the above problem. Please give me a brief description.

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee
      Same as my colleague said the porous media is lumped parameter model where non linear effects such as wetting effects and capillary pressure might he taken into account but the structure itself won't be resolved.
    • nagesh56
      Subscriber

So without actually modelling the structure, it is not possible to find the liquid rise. This is what you mean to say right. But for my case modelling of copper foam is a very difficult only option I have is finding the properties of porous media and applying to the porous region. So can I approach this way? please mention if you have some other idea to tackle this problem.

Thank you.

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee

Check the non-linear porous media (Corey Model) in Fluent if it is enough for you. 

• nagesh56
      Subscriber

Do I need to give the viscous resistance of porous media as a udf or giving the value is sufficient?

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee

Your choise the porous parameters can be given as constant or dependent on flow conditions or configuration. Constant values are the standard way.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.