3D Design

3D Design

How to solve: “Unable to import the specified geometry into SpaceClaim”?

• SC1
      Subscriber

After importing an NX CAD file into Workbench, I tried to open Spaceclaim but got the error "Unable to import the specified geometry into SpaceClaim". SpaceClaim closes afterward. I am working on Ansys 19.2.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      Try exporting a Parasolid from NX. Use an older Parasolid Version that it is compatible with ANSYS 19.2.
      Try to open that with SpaceClaim.
      If that doesn't work, in Workbench, add a Geometry cell, open DesignModeler and use the File, Import External CAD Geometry menu item to import the Parasolid File.
      If that is successful, close DM and the right click on that cell and Edit with SpaceClaim.
    • SC1
      Subscriber
      I need to import the file as .prt because I need the parametrization that was created on NX.
    • peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      I assume you have the ANSYS NX CAD Interface License. That is what you need to have in order to use the parameters in NX for simulation in Workbench/Mechanical. If you have that license, you don't ever open the geometry in SpaceClaim, you must only use NX to edit the geometry and when you do, Workbench will update the geometry.
    • abraham_irias
      Subscriber

Peter, I am facing a somewhat related issue. I have NX (Siemens 1980) and the ANSYS NX CAD interface license (2021 R2). I typically import my geometry from NX and make any model simplifications directly in NX. However, NX does not have a feature like "Share Topology" and thus I want to be able to import my geometry into SpaceClaim and make the slight change but still hold the associativity back to NX.
      I am having a hard time finding a way to Update Geometry from NX once my model has been edited in SpaceClaim. I would imagine that there would be a feature in Spaceclaim to update the geometry from NX so it still holds all the associativity for things like parameters/named selections. I found a way to do this update in DM.
    • peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      I suggest you stick with DM to bring NX geometry in with parameters and add Shared Topology.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.