General Mechanical

General Mechanical

How to speed up topology optimization?

• Ryan McGuinness
      Subscriber

Hi,

I am new to the software and ran an analysis on a large nonlinear assembly for the most accurate loading of a component.  This ran fine and then I tried to run a topology optimization on a subcomponent which took a very long time, actually stopping it after over a day.  I have not seen this done in my searching but would a more efficient method be to create a submodel first of the just the component and then create an optimization of the submodel?  The submodel would still need to go through all 7 load steps I have from the full assembly model I think (still learning) so I'm not sure this would be faster for the TO.

I'm still learning how to either map stresses or import loads to see if this is a better method before or for directly into the TO step.

My main goal is to avoid a loading scenario of an individual component that is too simplistic before the TO.

Thanks

• bhagwantP
      Ansys Employee

Ryan McGuinness,

when you want to resolve 7 load steps, will you please try to check if you can utilise benit of restart controls?

">Restarts with ANSYS Mechanical - YouTube

">Ansys Solution Restart feature - YouTube

Restart Simulation from the last converged substep in Workbench (ansys.com)

Thanks

• Ryan McGuinness
    Subscriber

For some reason I can’t see or access the first two links.  I currently have an open ticket to figure out why my restarts aren’t working, I followed the DRDtech video as did a colleague and we’re having issues.  Can you talk conceptually though about the most efficient process to run a TO for a component in an assembly with many load steps?

• Viewing 2 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.