LS Dyna

LS Dyna

How to suppress the failed elements in the post processing in Workbench Explicit?

• rodmarti
      Subscriber

I am running an analysis that uses a failure criteria, but, when I visualize the results, the failed elements are shown, messing up the post processing. Is possible to suppress them in the results?

• Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

Eroded elements should be removed by default. What are your failure criteria?

Turn on, View>Eroded Nodes.

Regards,

Sandeep

Best Practices to post on the Student Community

• rodmarti
      Subscriber

I used max. strain of 0.16

I misinterpreted the results. The eroded elements are not shown (As you can see in the attached file).

In any case, there are elements that comply with the max strain but are too deformed. 

Do you see anything strange in my results?

Thank you.

Rodrigo

• Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

If you are using reduced integration elements, I am not too worried about these. Keep an eye on the Hourglass Energy and on Energy conservation. It looks like these elements have a high aspect ratio even in the refined region, hence the stretching and odd shapes. Look at the mesh quality.

Try a maximum strain of 0.15 and see how much it affects your results. I believe you will see complete separation?

Regards,

Sandeep

• rodmarti
      Subscriber

I am using low integration elements, so the analysis can run faster.

How can I check the hourglass energy in workbench?

Thanks,

Rodrigo

• Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

Rodrigo,

You can access this from the solution information. Please see below:

A general rule of thumb is to make sure that the Hourglass Energy is sufficiently small (about 10% of the Internal Energy)

Regards,

Sandeep

• rodmarti
      Subscriber

Thank you Sandeep,

I think I found out what the problem was. It turned out that it was simpler than that.

The erosion control for the material failure was not checked in the analysis settings. 

One last question: In that model, I wasn't able to check the reaction forces. Is there another way to do that?

--

Rodrigo

• Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

Hi Rodrigo,

You can look at it from here:

Also, what version are you using? I would recommend (and personally tested this in) you to use 19.2 and turn on beta features. You can activate beta features from Workbench in Tools>Options>Apperance.

Regards,

Sandeep

• rodmarti
      Subscriber

Sandeep,

I am using version 18.1

I'll check with the university if it is possible to upgrade the version.

Problem solved!

Thank you!

Rodrigo

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.