General Mechanical

General Mechanical

How to take into account shrinkage from injection moulding?

• Kurrnin
      Subscriber

Hi everyone,

I've recently simulated the injection moulding of PLA, and according to the simulation there is a volume shrinkage on average of around 9.588%. I went to do some tensile tests now with this information and I am wondering, do I just need to scale the model down by 9.588% to get accurate results or is there something else I need to do?

Or will I need to change every specific point of shrinkage?

I really appreciate the help!

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

A product designer designs a part to a specific dimension, for example, 100 mm with a specific material, for example PLA.

When that part design is given to a tool designer to design a mould, they look at the material and know that the part will shrink 9.6% from the tool dimensions once the part is at room temperature. So the tool designer designs the tool to have a dimension of 109.6 mm.

If you are doing simulation on the injection molding, then you would be using the tool design cavity dimension of 109.6 mm.

If you are doing simulation on the part, then you would be using the part design dimension of 100 mm.

• Kurrnin
      Subscriber

Okay that's perfect thank you!

• EyobMessele
      Subscriber
      How to simulate the effect of shrinkages of metal powder materials using Ansys software? Which module is preferable for simulating the effect of shrinkages on metal powder material?n
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.