Fluids

Fluids

How to use arccos(teta) in UDF requiring input parameter c (=cos(teta))?

Tagged: 

• Jayda
      Subscriber

Dear Forum,

I created a user defined function for the scattering phase. The UDF requires the scattering phase to be defined via cos(theta) = c. Thus: DEFINE_SCAT_PHASE_FUNC(phi, c, fsf).

However, my phi (phase function) is defined in terms of teta (T) instead of phi:

phi =0.326*((1/(1+((T*180/pi)/11.5)^2))+(1*e^(-((T*180/pi)^2)/(2*2.5^2))+8))

T = theta = arccos(cos(T)) = arccos(c)

Thus:

phi =0.326*((1/(1+((arccos(c)*180/pi)/11.5)^2))+(1*e^(-((arccos(c)*180/pi)^2)/(2*2.5^2))+8))

Is this translation from theta to c correct and can I thus use the latter formula for the UDF?

• Does using arccos(c) give a problem, for example when teta = -pi, it will give an irrational number as output? Or is teta defined from 0 to +pi only?

Bests,

Jayda

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee
      Not really related to Ansys Fluent. It is just C/C++ programming. Always take care to avoid Division by 0 or NAN.
    • Karthik R
      Administrator
      Hello In addition to it is always a good practice to use the Message or fprintf statements to print your variables to the console. This will tell you if you are in the right direction or not.
      Karthik
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.