General Mechanical

General Mechanical

I have been trying to analyse a bolted hook and faced the following problem

• goldenjet
      Subscriber
    • Ashish Khemka
      Ansys Employee

Please see if you can turn off the Weak Springs. Also, please share the snapshots of applied loads and boundary conditions.

Regards Ashish Khemka
    • goldenjet
      Subscriber
      Hello I figured out the problem with it the force placement was wrong. I was then trying to plot my force convergence and saw that it does not converge with the following loading conditions, could you adivce what changes need to be made / measures to be taken in order to achieve convergence?

• goldenjet
      Subscriber
      Yes the problem was with the force placement and after that when I was attempting to check the convergence the plot did not seem to converge, with the following loading conditions could you advise on what measures/ corrections need to be done?

• TomPhemmy
      Subscriber
      Hi, you have a large force over a small region on the hook. This is a problem. What's the dimension that you have scoped the remote force over? Also, is the behaviour of the remote force set to deformable?

• goldenjet
      Subscriber
      The application of the remote force has to be at 45 degof the hook, and no the force is not set to deformable

• goldenjet
      Subscriber
      correction, Yes the force is set to deformable. In addition do you think there is any problems with the loading conditions like for ex . the location of the Remote displacement and the frictionless support?

• goldenjet
      Subscriber
      I apologise for the question in parts, I would also like to know where should one be expecting a peak(maximum) Equivalent Von - Mises Stress? Either at the bend(mouth of the hook) or the lower fillet, cause I am a little confused about this part.
    • TomPhemmy
      Subscriber
      to quickly go back to the convergence plot you show above, your solutions converged. so I don't understand why you say it doesn't converge. Regarding the boundary conditions, I cannot really say much if i don't have an idea of the physical problem you are trying to mathematically model. Why do you have remote displacements in the holes ? For the frictionless contact at the base, it does not prevent the bracket from sliding.
      Why don't you use a simplified boundary condition that just gives you all the reaction forces and moment at the bracket of the hook? You are not modeling the bolts anyway.
      You are applying a huge force of 49KN over a small region so you will have high values for stress. It also looks like you have a straight edge in your first figure above (a symmetry plane?) and your remote force is scoped to elements there too. This causes artificially high stress there.
      is your mode 1/2 the full geometry? if this is so, where is your symmetry boundary condition?
      Regarding your last question, can you show with pictures?
      I think might be able to help you faster than I am.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.