Fluids

Fluids

I’m getting the Warning -” Mass/displaced mass are significantly different for Structure#1″

• ighosh
      Subscriber

While doing a Hydrodynamic Diffraction Analysis in Workbench; I note that the Mesh Based and Mass Based displacement has difference of 198.8%. The absolute values are quite close but the mesh based displacement is negative which is incorrect. I have a feeling that there is a problem with coordinate axis. Did anyone face similar issues? How did you resolve it. Please help me.

• Mike Pettit
      Ansys Employee

A negative mesh-based displacement means that the surface normals of your vessel are pointing inwards, instead of outwards. A quick way to check this is to turn on part highlighting (View > Highlight Selected Parts and Bodies) then select the Part in the Outline tree. The outside surfaces should be highlighted in bright green:
      If the surface normals are wrong, then the insides will be bright green and the outsides will just show green edges:
      If this is the case, you'll need to go back into SpaceClaim or DesignModeler and flip the surface normals.
      I hope this helps!
      Mike
    • ighosh
      Subscriber
      Thanks Mike.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.