Fluids

Fluids

I’m having issues making a mesh

• Fisher
      Subscriber

I'm using the student version of Ansys. I'm trying to mesh the internal volume of a small rocket engine iv made plus an area outside the nozzle for the exhausts plume. Its a relatively simple shape, iv tried uploading to space claim as an STL and a Space claim file as well as shrink wrapping it. Whenever I try to generate a mesh, and surface mesh I always get this message. (The mesh generation did not complete due to poor quality elements or incorrect input. Please try meshing with another mesh method or different mesh options. ) Does anyone know how to fix this?

• Rob
      Ansys Employee
      Other than by fixing the poor quality elements or using a different method? If the mesh is failing, have a look at the geometry. Are there any gaps/holes in the SpaceClaim file? Ie are you transferring a solid or a surface body? Then look at the cell sizing relative to the geometry: if your smallest cell is bigger than some of the geometry features you may find you're bridging a gap and that's causing a problem. Pictures will help.
    • Fisher
      Subscriber
      If by cell size you mean element size Iv tried dropping it down to close to .0005m and .00005 This is a space claim of the STL which I made in fusion 360.

• Rob
      Ansys Employee
      If you created the model in Fusion 360 why didn't you transfer as a Step file? Stl tends to be for scan data and isn't a format I work with unless I really have to. Expand the Geometry section - is it a solid body or a collection of surfaces?
    • Fisher
      Subscriber
      I'm in High School and basically teaching myself when it comes to CAD and ANSYS. Iv just always used Stl format. I just tried a STEP file though and ANSYS allowed me to import it but when I opened space claim to view it my Modell wasn't their. The geometry tab says it has both solid and surface bodies.
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      Can you post a screen shot? You may find the scaling is off, and it's jus hiding. In the Ansys tools click on Help. That'll take you to the documentation, but included in that are a load of tutorials. If you run through SpaceClaim, Fluent Meshing and Fluent Solver you'll get a good idea of how everything works.
      If you're happy with Fusion 360 learn that, and focus on using SpaceClaim to transfer the CAD into Fluent Meshing. I teach 3rd year Mechanical & Aero Eng students most years, and rather than force them to learn another tool focus on showing how to get the model out of Solidworks and into SpaceClaim for immediate transfer to Fluent Meshing.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.