Preprocessing

Preprocessing

Import mesh from Rhino to Fluent

• KianaMousavi
      Subscriber

Hi

I want to import my mesh from Rhino to Fluent.

Is this possible? What are the settings that I have to consider?

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

You have surfaces in Rhino, not a mesh. Those surfaces can be brought into SpaceClaim, then that geometry can be prepared to bring into Meshing.

Export an IGES format from Rhino and import that into SpaceClaim.

I don't know any settings on the Rhino side. On the SpaceClaim side, there is a Repair or Cleanup check mark that is on by default.

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

you can export stl or iges or step from rhino and import it in fluent meshing. then create a volume mesh and then proceed to fluent. 

Regards,

Keyur

If this helps, please mark this post as 'Is Solution' to help others.

Guidelines on the Student Community

How to access ANSYS help links

• KianaMousavi
      Subscriber

Hi Peter!

Yes, The geometry I have in rhino is solid, but I used the default meshing of rhino, so I also have the mesh of my geometry. I was wondering if I can import the "mesh" from rhino into fluent, so that I don't use fluent for meshing.

• KianaMousavi
      Subscriber

Hi Keyur!

Is it possible if I want to use the default meshing of rhino and import that mesh into fluent? Because I can easily control the number of mesh elements in rhino and based on that, it refines the mesh where needed.

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

That will depend on whether Rhino has created 3d elements. What export options have you got? You may be able to read this into Fluent if we can import something on the Rhino list. 

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

Please check help document for import options in Fluent. Accordingly you can export it from Rhio. 

Regards,

Keyur

If this helps, please mark this post as 'Is Solution' to help others.

Guidelines on the Student Community

How to access ANSYS help links

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Another member had success exporting a NASTRAN file format from Rhino and importing it to ANSYS.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.